Ms. Adkinson began her teaching career in the fall of 2013 at Twin Oaks Elementary School as a 3rd Grade ELA, Math, Science and Social Studies Teacher. She did that for 2 years, then taught ELA and Social Studies only the following year. She came to BRCVPA in 2016-2017 as a 4th Grade Science and Social Studies Teacher. During that time, she wowed her students with excellent instruction, fabulous classroom decor, and over the top costumes...everyone from Ben Franklin to Bob Ross!
While teaching Science and Social Studies, she pursued her Visual Arts Ancillary Certification, and made the transition to the Visual Arts teacher in 2019-2020.
Ms. Adkinson's favorite thing to teach is children! She is very passionate about teaching visual art because she is able to integrate ALL subjects into her lessons while inspiring young artists. Not only can she integrate each subject area, but she is happy for the opportunity to help her fellow teachers by presenting their content in a visual and project-based way to help them make connections across content areas.
It is Ms. Adkinson's belief that teaching a child a new skill that they have never seen before can often be the tricky part of teaching, but inspiring them to be lifelong learners and explorers who find wonder at every path is the the rewarding part! She says that college is where she learned what a teacher does, but BRCVPA is where she learned how to inspire children, and for that she will be forever grateful.
We are so grateful to have Ms. Adkinson as a part of our Faculty and Staff! Please give her the biggest air hug when you see her on campus!!!!
Here are some things her students, parents, and colleagues had to say:
- She is always a positive voice and always willing to lend a helping hand.
- She fully represents our mission at BRCVPA. She is always excited to integrate the Arts. She helps children of all abilities reach for their potential and she is always an enthusiastic team player.
- Ms. Adkinson plans engaging lessons, loves her students, and maintains a positive attitude. She is a hard worker, and a team player, who is always willing to help out.
- She is very inspiring and makes the kids want to learn and come to school.
- She is the best teacher ever she makes learning FUN with her jokes and she gives us *hints* and songs to remember on our the test.
- think she should win because she is a loveable lady and a perfect role model if you want to become a teacher.
- She is so full of ideas and keeps a positive attitude. She inspires students to want to come to school.
- Ms. Adkinson gives everything she has to her students. She loves them fiercely and truly wants them to succeed. Her classroom is fun and inviting. Students enjoy learning.
- Ms. Adkinson leaves it all on the field every day. She cares deeply about her students and tirelessly works to prepare them for any obstacle they may face in life. She makes learning fun an engaging for the students by integrating the arts at every opportunity.
- She has a pure love for her students that shows in everything she does for them. I've never seen her be negative with them or have a bad attitude towards her job. She's a positive inspiration to her peers and her students.
- Ms. Adkinson has really taken the initiative to lead the arts staff through the summer and this year. She is creative, and is continually looking for new opportunities to engage our students. She volunteered to be in charge of the PBIS team, and because of her, we have the biggest team we have ever had! She cares for her students, and looks for opportunities to recognize and reward STAR behavior. She is friendly to everyone, and looks for was she can help her colleagues, the Admin team, and others. She is a problem-solver and has a positive attitude. She is funny, and a great art teacher too!
- Ms. A is a team player and always willing to help her colleagues as well as her students. Her students love Art and love going to her class to see what fun project they are doing next. She is so creative. She has also taken on leadership roles such as PBIS Chair and Arts Team Chairperson. She shows so much school spirit and makes coming to school a fun adventure because you never know how she will be dressed up! :)
- Ms. Adkinson creates such a positive atmosphere for her students. A place where they are free to make mistakes and try again! I have noticed a HUGE difference in my daughters artistic skills since being a student in her class. Ms. A's bigger than life personality is perfect in keeping students motivated and striving to do their best. My daughter always talks about how much fun she has in art class and loves that Ms. A calls her "Ivy Bean!"
- Ms. Adkinson makes learning science and social studies fun! Thanks to her for being the best fourth grade homeroom/science & social studies teacher ever!
- Ms. A puts her heart and soul in everything she does and the love she has for teaching and for her students shines through every piece of art that comes out of her classroom. She has an ability to connect with her students that so special, inspiring, and worthy of this award.
- Ms. Adkinson should be the teacher of the year because she is a awesome teacher, she is so kind and nice, and she has taught so many things!
- She is nice thoughtful crazy funny